/lit/

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
/lit/

Bored of the imageboard.

3 posters

The notion of 'classic' literature

Tiresias
    Tiresias
    Admin

The notion of 'classic' literature Empty The notion of 'classic' literature

Post  Tiresias Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:12 am

One can't help but feel that it's a qualitative, as well as temporal, description (even though I've directly opposed it to the 'modern' and thus suggested that the latter was my only consideration). I have, for reasons perhaps comprehensible only to me, decided to describe this category as encompassing everything 'Up to (and including) High Modernism'. It is, I appreciate, powerfully ironic (dangerously so, even) to use a literary movement named for its modernity to bracket the 'classic' forum, but that is exactly what I have done.
    perkunas
    perkunas

The notion of 'classic' literature Empty Re: The notion of 'classic' literature

Post  perkunas Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 am

I've always simply viewed the term "classics" to mean the mutually agreeable best of past literature. It's somewhat arbitrary I suppose but when expounded upon I don't find much confusion in its usage.
    Character Corwin
    Character Corwin

Post  Character Corwin Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:41 am

I've always taken the "classics" just to be a sign of popularity, basically an "essential lit list" of the West. And any modern book of today could be the classic of tomorrow. It's understandable why these sorts of labels exist and I think they are useful.

I think these kinds of notions only become harmful when people start basing their tastes totally on what is recognized as "canon", which closes off potentially good experiences. And from there it just devolves into "more intellectual than thou" nonsense.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content