/lit/

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
/lit/

Bored of the imageboard.

5 posters

Criticism against creative writing

theswedisheditor
    theswedisheditor

Criticism against creative writing Empty Criticism against creative writing

Post  theswedisheditor Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 pm

I sometimes feel like a lot of writers of the modern age think good works of literature comes with the first draft. And after the first draft is written you leave the work alone.

Somehow the art of editing and rewriting drafts have been forgotten and degraded into something uncompletely "unnecessary".

And I think creative writing is to blame.

Have editing become a lost art form?

How many rewrites (average) do you do before releasing something?

What are your best editing tips?

My tips:

After first draft take a break.
    Go back fix all typos and grammatical flaws.
    Take a break.

Now try to remove as much text as possible still maintaining the core.

Also ask yourself: 'What is the core?'

Take a break.

Review your characters and their motives.
    Review your characters and their dialogue along with their motives.

Take a break.

Look at the opening. Is it good enough to guarantee to hook the reader.

Are there especially good passages in my text. What other passages can be bettered?

Take a break.

Read it out loud a couple of times.

Take a break.

Share your story to someone who has the guts to criticise you.

Cry.

Take a break.

And so it goes on. Sometimes I let my work just sit unfinished for 2 weeks or 4 weeks, in the meantime I write on other works.

Then I come back and suddenly have a totally different perspective. Sometimes its better and sometimes its just shit.
    CallMeNegro
    CallMeNegro

Criticism against creative writing Empty Re: Criticism against creative writing

Post  CallMeNegro Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:48 am

Biggest difference maker is writing it out first, not typing. Regardless of if you prefer writing to typing (which I certainly do), it also forces you to edit it.
    I generally write it out, edit once after having finished, leave it for a few days, edit while typing, print it out for whoever is unlucky enough to stop by the apartment, take their feedback, and read it through once after for final changes.
    theswedisheditor
    theswedisheditor

Post  theswedisheditor Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 am

You mean writing it out with a pen?
    perkunas
    perkunas

Post  perkunas Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 am

I never thought writing it out and typing it would make that much of a difference, just different means to an end.
    CallMeNegro
    CallMeNegro

Post  CallMeNegro Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:16 am

theswedisheditor wrote:You mean writing it out with a pen?
    Yes.

perkunas wrote:I never thought writing it out and typing it would make that much of a difference, just different means to an end.
    I find that it does. When you type it up you are copying every word, so it brings your attention to little changes needed.

Not to mention it's a great help if you find yourself easily distracted.
    BennyProfane
    BennyProfane

Post  BennyProfane Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Couldn't the benefits of writing your work out with a pen also be had if you just print out what you type and edit it manually? (This is what I do, with the ole' red pen.)
    perkunas
    perkunas

Post  perkunas Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:56 pm

I've never actually tried either of those methods, but now I might just. I want to say I don't think it will change how much attention I put into it but it just might.
    theswedisheditor
    theswedisheditor

Post  theswedisheditor Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 pm

I highly doubt writing with a pen would work for in any way profesionally. It would just take to long.

I read it out loud. Its a great tip. You also get a sense of the flow in your writing that way as well.
    perkunas
    perkunas

Post  perkunas Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57 am

What do you mean "professionally"? And it doesn't take that long to write things out by hand.
    Tamburlaine
    Tamburlaine

Post  Tamburlaine Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 am

I don't write very much, but when I do, it's with a fountain pen. They just can't be beaten.
    CallMeNegro
    CallMeNegro

Post  CallMeNegro Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 am

theswedisheditor wrote:I highly doubt writing with a pen would work for in any way profesionally. It would just take to long.

I read it out loud. Its a great tip. You also get a sense of the flow in your writing that way as well.
    You must write very slowly, then. I write cursive with fountain pens almost as quickly as I can type.
    theswedisheditor
    theswedisheditor

Post  theswedisheditor Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 pm

I am a journalist. And if you're working against a deadline I can tell you that there is no such time if youre supposed to write everything with a pen. Its impossible.
    perkunas
    perkunas

Post  perkunas Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Well we're not all journalists and journalism only makes up a section of writing.
    theswedisheditor
    theswedisheditor

Post  theswedisheditor Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Of course, im just speaking for me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content