/lit/

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
/lit/

Bored of the imageboard.

4 posters

Fantasy and Sci-Fi

mattymoron
    mattymoron

Fantasy and Sci-Fi Empty Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Post  mattymoron Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:33 am

Do you think that people unfairly dismiss fantasy and science fiction as trashy or worthless from a literary perspective?

Last edited by mattymoron on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CallMeNegro
    CallMeNegro

Fantasy and Sci-Fi Empty Re: Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Post  CallMeNegro Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Anything should be dismissed from a literally perspective.
    mattymoron
    mattymoron

Post  mattymoron Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Oh, woops.
    Priscilla

Post  Priscilla Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:55 pm

mattymoron wrote:Do you think that people unfairly dismiss fantasy and science fiction as trashy or worthless from a literary perspective?
    Yes. I think everyone does it with genres of writing. I personally see nothing good in "crime" books they just seem like a waste of paper to me. Fantasy I enjoy, but when I'm reading it it feels like nothing much was gained from doing so.
    Mendelson
    Mendelson

Post  Mendelson Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 am

Yes, and a lot of times I agree with that sentiment. Scifi can be to neckbeards what Harlequin romance is to soccer moms. BUT--some of it is really good. I've read 6 or so of Philip K. Dick's (I'm something of a Dick-lover) novels and a bunch of his short stories. It seems like as long as a scifi author is telling a story and using the future or robots as tools for explaining something deeper, then it's definitely just as good as any straight literary story.

If an author is just writing about jet-packs and flying cars as ends in themselves, then I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy it.

Still, I think a lot of works considered literary definitely have strong scifi elements but seem to have graduated to more respected shelves in the book stores: Slaughter-House Five, Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest, etc. Then again, I guess these examples could all be labeled as post-modern and the scifi may just be part of the pastiche.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm