/lit/

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
/lit/

Bored of the imageboard.

2 posters

Rationalists

Kynes
    Kynes

Rationalists Empty Rationalists

Post  Kynes Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:02 am

So yeah, a topic for discussion of the early modern rationalists - Descartes, Spinoza, Leibniz. Or heck, discuss any other forms of it, I'm not really knowledgeable. I thought of making a general "history of philosophy thread", but we might as well make more topics and promote diversity.

I just finished reading Descartes's Discourse on Method and Meditations on first philosophy.
    I was actually surprised how interesting it was - I gotta commend the guy for presenting his philosophy very clearly and understandable, using real-life examples and even his knowledge of physics as arguments(he was really an all-around scholar). The obvious flaw is that his usage of scholastic arguments is very unconvincing, especially after he is so careful and doubtful of everything else. It's nothing new that he was trying to suck up to theologists, but there you go.

I'm about to move on to Spinoza. I find his metaphysics very compelling, being myself a pantheist, and from what I've read he was a really good-natured guy.
    Deleet

Rationalists Empty Re: Rationalists

Post  Deleet Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 am

Back then it was considered the philosopher's duty to make some new argument for the existence of God.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:06 am